« View All News
News & Events
August 21, 2015
5th Annual New Mexico Guardianship Association Symposium
- Attend the New Mexico Guardianship Association 5th Annual Guardianship Symposium called The Elephant in the Room: Caring About the Invisible in Society
- For information on this event, go to http://www.nmguardianassoc.org/#!events/c1aj3
- The event will be held on Friday August 21 at the Sheraton in Uptown Albuquerque.
- Receive CEUs including 5.5 in Social Work and 5.5 in Guardianship
- The event will start at 8:30 am and go until 4:30 pm.
- The keynote at 9:00 am is entitled Beyond Cognition: Guardianship for Functional Incapacity and will be given by Cynthia Geppert, M.D., MA, Ph.D., MPH, FAPM, DAAPMMD,Psychiatrist and Ethicist, specializing in capacity assessments; VAMC.
- A panel discussion will then take place at 10:45 am called Ethics of Guardianship: Balancing Civil Liberties with Effective Treatment.
- Three hour long breakout sessions of three presentations each will take place in the afternoon. These sessions will start at 1:00 pm, 2:15 pm and 3:30 pm.
- Topics that are scheduled for the breakouts include discussions on the service system, discussions on the law, information on institutions and information alternatives to guardianship.
- The symposium will also discuss condition-specific situations including PTSD, Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Mental Illness and Dementia.
- Sponsors include
- True Link
- Retreat Gardens
- Hospice de la Luz
- Retreat at Home
- Haven Behavioral Hospital of Albuquerque